A message from Caroline Lancey
29th January 2021
I have found this a really strange bulletin to write. The Central team at The Trust suggested that doing the newsletter as normal would be a good way to keep lines of communication open. However, with teachers turning up on your doorsteps once a week, coming into your homes twice daily and some of you having additional calls and zoom sessions, you probably are seeing more of us than you ever have before (and more than you would like to, most likely).
I am aware that the expectation this time round is much greater than it was last time and that it is very difficult to support your children at home. So, thank you for all your efforts, the teachers have been really impressed with the learning that is coming back each week. Many of our staff are in the same position as you, they are doing their work and trying to support their children’s home learning so, we completely understand. If you have any problems, please Dojo your child’s teacher via messenger. They have been quick to follow up with phone calls where children have struggled. If we could open the school to everyone we would; but at the moment, we are having to adhere to strict group numbers.
Thank you to those who filled in the parent survey.
96% of parents said their children were coping with the current situation.
100% felt the learning was being explained clearly.
91% felt their child was able to complete the work set each day.
87% said their child looked forward to the zoom sessions. A further 9% said they couldn’t access them but we have now arranged laptops to help them with this.
92% felt that the amount of learning was just right. The other 8% were split evenly between too much and too little. It is a very hard line to walk so it looks like for most of you we got it right.
100% felt that there was a good level of communication and feedback on their children’s learning.
We had lots of positive comments as well and where there were suggestions about how we could improve; somebody from the school has contacted those parent to seek a solution.
As I am sure you are aware from the News, the staff (this is all staff including, teaching and support staff) are now being tested twice a week and reporting their result to the Government on-line.
Mr Arndell has very kindly reconditioned some laptops and donated them to the school. We haven’t got loads but if you feel your child would do better on a laptop rather than a phone let us know and we can lend them to you. They have Windows 10 on them but very little else. If you have WiFi or are happy to use your phone as a hot spot your child will be able to access the zoom meetings, the daily learning and sites such as MyMaths and Spelling Shed.
I can’t thank Mr Arndell enough it has been a great boost for us as we struggle with ICT in the school, so thank you.
Over half term we are hoping that the kitchen roof will be finished and a better extraction system installed.
The engineers are continuing to put in the piping and radiators that are needed for our new heating system. We are hoping that the new boiler will be installed over the Easter Holidays and the swap from the old heating system to the new will happen in April.